Monday, July 30, 2012

My favourite song: Casimir Pulaski Day by Sufjan Stevens





This is a sad and beautiful song about a girl dying of cancer and the unfairness of it. 

Sufjan Stevens is an American Singer-Songwriter, this is the 10th track on his album 'Come on, Feel the Illinoise' published in 2005. 


I love the story of it. The song starts when the narrator discovered that the girl had 'cancer of the bone' and how people cope with that. There are references to the Lord, all the glory that the lord has made and the complications we could do without, bible study and prayers take place of course, but there's such a frustration when he sings 'nothing ever happens'. There's the sweet love story, he sings about how he "almost touched her blouse". Casimir Pulaski Day, the song title is a holiday and it's the day she dies ("I thought I saw you breathing"). 


This song never fails to calm me down, the melody is beautiful, the voice is perfect. There's a live unplugged radio mix around, that's even better.


This was the first Sufjan Stevens song that I got to know and it was enough to justify going out and getting the album, I knew I would like it. I liked it so much, I even bought the album a second time, because I found one with Superman on the cover (which were only printed the first time, because of copyright issues). Never mind that I was a poor student living in a foreign country with no income, I had to have it (twice). 


Hm, I now realize my banner looks a bit like the cover too... coincidence, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment